Braille and AIM/AEM Scanning
Braille transcription services are provided for students who are blind or visually impaired by a Library of Congress certified Braillist. If a student needs Braille materials, contact a vision itinerant teacher through the Iowa Educational Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired. They will then coordinate with Heartland AEA to provide services.
Books and educational materials can be converted to .pdf digital files. It presents printed or electronic text on the computer screen with added audible and visual accessibility. The books will then be shared via Google Drive or CD.
- Schools must own the copyrighted books and assign a book to each student who is using an alternative format.
- The scanned files must be used exclusively for students who have an identified disability documented on an IEP or 504 accommodation plan.
- The files must not be reproduced or distributed.
- Book bindings will be removed for scanning and will be replaced with alternative binding.
- Send the materials to be scanned on the Heartland AEA van. Include a purchase order if required by your district.