Substitute Authorization Renewal

How do I Renew My Substitute Authorization?

Substitute Authorization Renewal

The Substitute Authorization is valid for five years and expires five years from the date of issuance by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners. Application fees are paid to the BOEE during the application process.


If you also hold a Paraeducator Certificate, see the Paraeducator Renewal Information below.

Required Documents for Renewal:

  • Official Transcript(s) showing completion of coursework totaling two (2) credits. Courses should be completed between the issue date and the expiration date of your certificate, or be no more than five years old.
  • Valid Certificates of Completion for the Mandatory Reporter: Child Abuse training and Mandatory Reporter: Dependent Adult Abuse training.

New Law Effective July 1, 2023: HF672 eliminates the renewal credit requirement for licensed educators who have completed a master’s degree or higher and have at least 10 years of licensed experience in education. However, you must still apply to renew your authorization and include valid Mandatory Reporter for Child Abuse and Dependent Adult Abuse certificates, verification of degree, and verification of 10 years or more of education experience (letters on school letterhead from current/previous school districts).

Coursework to Obtain Credits

You may use classes offered for license renewal credit from any Iowa Area Education Agency (AEA) or undergraduate or graduate credit from a regionally-accredited college or university. 

If you are renewing an expired Substitute Authorization, credits must have been issued in the last five years. 

Please note: You do not need to retake the course to renew an expired Authorization. You only take the Substitute Authorization Course once to obtain your Authorization. It cannot be taken again to renew your Authorization. There are no penalties through the BOEE for letting your Authorization expire. However, you cannot substitute on an expired Authorization.

For a list of classes and to register, visit: 

AEA Professional Learning Registration System 

Paraeducator Renewal Information

Paraeducators Without a Bachelor’s Degree

If you hold a Paraeducator Certificate and a Substitute Authorization, your Substitute Authorization will automatically renew with your Paraeducator Certificate.

Paraeducators With a Bachelor’s Degree

If you hold a Paraeducator Certificate and a Substitute Authorization, you will want to renew both your Paraeducator Certificate and your Substitute Authorization separately.

Mandatory Reporter Training

The AEA Online Learning System provides employees of participating Iowa school districts the Mandatory Reporter: Child Abuse and Mandatory Reporter: Dependent Adult Abuse trainings at no charge. 

AEA Online Learning System