Skip to main content
Heartland Area Education Agency Print Header
Main Content

Paraeducator Renewal

The Paraeducator Generalist Certificate is valid for five years and expires five years from the date of issuance. A total of three credits and a Mandatory Reporter certificate are required to renew a Paraeducator Certificate and should be completed between the issue date and the expiration date of your certificate or be no more than five years old.

The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners (BoEE) has asked that you allow four weeks for processing your renewal application. To look up your Pareaeducator Certificate expiration date, visit the BoEE's License Search webpage.  

The renewal application is available on the BoEE's website, and you will need to upload the following documents to complete your application:

1.    Official transcript(s) showing completion of coursework totaling three credits. You may use classes from any Iowa AEA or accredited college or university. Coursework should be related to education or duties performed and can be taken in any combination of the following areas:

  • Area of Concentration not currently held
  • Content that will assist a paraeducator to demonstrate knowledge of or ability to assist in reading, writing and mathematics
  • Content that supports either the building’s or district’s career development plan
  • College credit earned for each semester hour

2.    Documentation of completion of the Mandatory Reporter: Child and Dependent Adult Abuse training (current within five years)

Substitute Authorization

The substitute authorization course “Substitute Authorization: Fostering Student Learning as a Substitute” can qualify as one of the three credits required to renew a Paraeducator Certificate.

A Substitute Authorization will authorize an individual who holds a Paraeducator Generalist Certificate, without a bachelor’s degree, to substitute ONLY in the special education classroom in which the individual paraeducator is employed for no more than five consecutive days and no more than 10 days in a 30-day period. The Substitute Authorization will be added as an Area of Concentration and renew with the Paraeducator Generalist Certificate.

Course Catalog

To find courses currently available for license renewal credit, go to our Professional Development catalog.

Mandatory Reporter Training

There is a fee for all individuals taking the Mandatory Reporter: Child and Dependent Adult Abuse training. The training can be accessed through the AEA Learning Online Learning System.

© 2019 Heartland AEA 11. All Rights Reserved.