Skip to main content
Heartland Area Education Agency Print Header
Main Content

No Immunization Record

Posted on 11/04/2015 at 12:00 AM by MaryAnn Strawhacker

Just had a question this week regarding a student trying to enroll with no immunization record. This student was foreign born. The guidance from the Iowa Department of Public Health states that provisional certificates may only be issued if the student has received "at least one dose of each of the required vaccines or they are a transfer student from another U.S. school system". (This memo is attached as a document to this blog entry.) Issued on April 9 of 2014, it is the most recent guidance from IDPH. I verified this today after speaking with Kelli Smith, Nurse Consultant with IDPH. Her contact information is <>.

Students who are Refugees. IDPH has a Refugee Health program that provides health assessment and links to health services such as vaccinations.

Students who are undocumented. The Vaccines for Children program has a variety of sites across Iowa. Uploaded with this blog entry is the 2015 VFC provider list. Parents do not need to provide a green card or a social security number at these sites to immunize their children. The sites also accept all without insurance and Medicaid participants.

For general immunization requirements go to the IDPH site, Immunization Program Home.


There are no comments yet.
Add Comment

* Indicates a required field

© 2018 Heartland AEA 11. All Rights Reserved.