A coaching endorsement can be obtained only by individuals who currently hold an Iowa teaching license. The holder of this endorsement may serve as a head coach or an assistant coach in kindergarten and grades 1st through 12th.
You must successfully complete the following four courses and concussion training. These courses may be taken in any sequence over any length of time. To obtain an endorsement, these courses must be taken for college credit. Heartland AEA does not offer coaching classes for college credit. Please work directly with a college or university.
(1) One semester hour college or university course in the structure and function of the human body in relation to physical activity.
(2) One semester hour college or university course in human growth and development of children and youth as related to physical activity.
(3) Two semester hour college or university course in athletic conditioning, care and prevention of injuries and first aid as related to physical activity.
(4) One semester hour college or university course in the theory of coaching interscholastic athletics.
(5) Completion of the concussion training approved by the Iowa High School Athletic Association or Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union.
■ Checklist for Adding an Endorsement to a License