Visit the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners for information on obtaining a Coaching Authorization and instructions on how to apply for the Authorization.
You must successfully complete the following four courses and concussion training to obtain a Coaching Authorization. The four courses may be taken through an accredited college or university or an approved Iowa program and may be taken in any sequence over any length of time.
- Theory and Ethics of Coaching (OR one semester hour or 10 contact hours in the theory of coaching interscholastic athletics and five contact hours relating to the knowledge and understanding of ethics and legal responsibilities of coaching)
- Human Growth and Development (OR one semester hour or 10 contact hours in human growth and development of children and youth as related to physical activity)
- Physiology (OR one semester hour or 10 contact hours in the structure and function of the human body in relation to physical activity)
- Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries (OR two semester hours or 20 contact hours in athletic conditioning, care and prevention of injuries and first aid as related to physical activity)
- Concussion Training: A concussion training program approved by the Iowa High School Athletic Association or the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union is required. The training can be accessed on their websites.
Course Schedule & Enrollment
Our Professional Development catalog lists courses that are currently available. Choose the Subject Category: Athletic Coaching.