Family & Community Engagement Toolkit
The purpose of the Family & Community Engagement Toolkit is to provide parents, school districts and AEA staff the most current research, "best of the best" resources and practical tools in order to create a school community that integrates all stakeholders in student learning in a way that is:
- Systemic - aligned to core goals
- Integrated - embedded into structures and processes designed to meet goals
- Sustainable - operates with adequate resources that are continually strengthened and improved
Effective family and community engagement is:
- A shared responsibility
- Continuous from cradle to career
- Reinforces learning that takes place in all settings
All Family Members Are Important
Throughout the toolkit, we frequently use the words “family” or “families” in place of “parent” or “parents.” We want to recognize that all family members—siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and “fictive kin,” who may be friends or neighbors,—often contribute in significant ways to children’s education and development. If a study uses the terms “parent” or “parents,” we stick to the terminology used by the researchers.
1-4 are clickable links for more information on each question.
For more information or questions, contact:
Family & Educator Partnership Lead Coordinator
(800) 255-0405 ext. 17135